Blizzard has officially revealed the system requirements for the upcoming Legion expansion for World of Warcraft and, it seems that I need to upgrade my PC to play it. Well, just a little bit.
Here are the minimum requirements for World of Warcraft Legion (This is the Windows version of the game. The Mac system requirements can be seen below):
- Operating System: Windows XP / Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10 with latest service pack
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 or AMD Phenom II X3 720
- Video: NVIDIA® GeForce GT 440 or AMD Radeon HD 5670 or Intel HD Graphics 5000 NVIDIA
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Storage: 45 GB available hard drive space
- Internet: Broadband internet connection
- Media: DVD-ROM drive
- Input: Keyboard and mouse required. Other input devices are not supported.
- Resolution: 1024 x 768 minimum display resolution
And here's the maximum requirement:
- Windows 10
- Intel Core i5-3330, AMD FX-6300, or better
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti or AMD Radeon R7 260X or better
- 4 GB RAM
In case you wonder why Blizzard buffed up the system requirements in the game, it's because the Legion expansion will give an overhaul to WoW when it comes to how it looks. The massive improvement notable with the expansion is the massive draw distance upgrade that's been applied. You can see roughly twice as far in-game, which generally means there are obstructions before there is horizon. That's an awful lot to render - but it's only an additional option on top of many others. There has also been a wave of new animations, and of course Blizzard's tech in other areas is improving over time too.
So with all that improvement, I guess it's definitely worth upgrading your gaming box for my favourite MMO game of all time.
Update: For people who want to play the game on their Mac, then here's the min and max requirements of World of Warcraft: Legion:
- OS® X 10.10 (latest version)
- Intel® Core™ i5-750
- NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M or
- ATI Radeon™ HD 4850 or Intel® HD Graphics 5000
- 4 GB RAM
- 45 GB available hard drive space
- DVD-ROM drive
- Keyboard and mouse required.
- Other input devices are not supported.
- 1024 x 768 minimum display resolution
- OS® X 10.11 (latest version)
- Intel® Core™ i5-4670 or better
- NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 775M or AMD Radeon™ R9 M290X or better
- 8 GB RAM
- Multi-button mouse with scroll wheel