Here's a guide which will showcase how to play great defense in the coolest Basketball MMO today, Freestyle 2.
Guide: How to play defense in FreeStyle 2.
So why defense and not just focus on offense first? It's because good defense is the best offense! You may score many points but if you can't defend well, then you'll lose more points and lose confident, then lose focus and finally, lose the game. It always happen when you don’t know proper marking, how to steal and most importantly, how to rebound and block shots. It’s suck right ? If you played few hours, you can have many question:”how to block that lay up, how to block that dunk, how to steal and lockdown a shooting player.”
Good thing you've stumbled to this page as it will teach you the basics on how to be a great defensive player on Freestyle 2.
MARKING (Basic):the first thing you need to know when you want a good defense.
*SKILL for easier Marking
Marking is choosing the right position on defense mode. This means that you have to be at the right time to defend a shot or take a rebound. If you have good position you can lower %success shooting from your opponent, you can block, can rebound or event trying steal with PF , SF (Centers are not part of the party because of there slow steal and % success is also too low)
You can see that clearly in tutorial. Most of the times, the CPU opponent always choose the best position with you.
It’s a line direct from the attacker to the basket, stay in that line and you can stop a layup, dunk or going forward.
And when you stand at good position, you now need to keep the right distance, it will be a bit difficult, but you can master it easily if you understand it clearly.
Don’t keep your distance too far or too close. Too far it means your opponent can shoot (not full %success but with SF or SG, it’s almost going in). And too close means you can be dribbled with cross-over very easy.
Always keep in mind, stand at right position and at right distance, you can lock down an solo player easily (attacker can use screen, but I will talk about it later, of course when it happen, you need to know how to evade their screen in right way)
-How to use button W in defense
-Something should know when marking
*SKILL for easier Blocking:
Good positioning makes it easier to block.
There’re too type of block:
- Block a shot
- Block dunk and lay-up (need very very good positioning skill to do this well)
*BLOCK A SHOT:
- With C/PF, it’s easy with right distance from marking. But with SF/SG/PG it need more close too block a shot. Anyway, you don’t need to try blocking a shot, it’s so dangerous if your opponent do a pump fake (fake shot), and when you jump, it's the end for you.
- A tip when defending a shot is to jump after the shot as soon as possible, it will lower %success of that shot.
*BLOCK DUNK AND LAY-UP:
- This is hard for newbies. Anyone can do a dunk or lay-up. Don’t blame your C/PF (basket defender) when they can’t block some lay-up or dunk.
- See image below for example on how to block a layup or dunk.
+ At this position you can block any lay-up. You just need to move a short distance to their opponent ‘s lay-up
The same position as blocking a layup, without direction-block skill. You need press Shift + D at the right position to block a dunk.
- With changing direction dunk from PF, It’s harder, you need faster and try to determine where he/she will do the dunk. The same logic like block a lay-up, but you need to move closer.
*SKILL for easier Rebounding:
- It depends on your experience, you need to guess the way the ball come and go to the right position for that. * With box out skill (without +% box out skill), when same timing, the one inside is box-out stronger then the outside. Like that:
- The faster timing box-out win the box-out. If you are in same position:
A good C/PF with good defense’s 50% power of the team. Remind that when you choose to play.
- Chip in
- Chip out
*SKILL for easier Stealing:
When you marking, just need to move closer to your opponent and press S.
When to steal ? Some situations make you easy to steal:
- When they do a pumb fake (fake shot), the most easily to steal
- When they caught drible by you
- When they keep their hand-ball in the direction you stand.
So that's it all about basic defense. It will be harder when in high skill game as you need to change your marking opponent smoothly, depend on opponents team and your team’s strategy (.eg:Like if PF go to 3-point position and SF come to rebound, you-a PG should change opponent with your C to make a good defense. In common a PG can’t rebound with SF, so he can rebound and dunk over you, PG with bad block skill)
Hope this guide helps...