This guide is to help people learn the basics of fishing in ESO. It covers the 4 different water types available and the kind of baits you should use for each water hole.
Fishing is a basic thing anyone can do in ESO, all that is needed is some bait and a fishing spot. With the most recent fishing update, fishing plays a huge role in provisioning; now with the latest update, if you get lucky sometimes you can come across some random crafting material. Rare fish can also be caught for achievements. Fishing does take a lot of time but it is relaxing if you enjoy that.
Fishing holes basically look like the water sources that you find for alchemy except bigger and more water splashing everywhere.
There are currently four kinds of water types in ESO.
- Foul water
Basically you can find these anywhere on the coast. Pretty straight forward, just go on docks and along the coast of beaches and you should find more than plenty of fishing holes available.
Best bait to use for Ocean fishing holes:
The type of fishes you can get from Ocean holes:
Any body of water that isn't an ocean. They can vary in sizes from large to small.
Best bait to use for Lake fishing holes:
Fish you can catch in Lake fishing holes:
- Silverside Perch
Any moving water that will always start with a waterfall. Most rivers will connect to a ocean or lake.
Best bait to use for River fishing holes:
- Insect Parts
Fishes you can get out of River Fishing holes:
- River Betty
- Fish Roe
Foul fishing holes are probably the hardest to find out all 4 water types. They vary from a murkish brown to a sulfur yellow color. If it isn't blue and looks clear then it's probably a foul water hole. They can be found in sewers, swamps, pools with bodies.
The best bait to use for Foul fishing holes are:
- Fish Roe
Fish you can get out of Foul fishing holes:
There are 9 different types of baits available:
- Insect Parts
- Fishing Roe
- Simple Bait
Each region in ESO has 12 rare fishes. There are 3 rare fishes for each of the 4 water types. 1 blue and 2 green. You get achievements for catching all 12 rare fish in each zone and they sell for a pretty good amount too.
With the recent update to fishing, fishes you catch and skin now have a small chance of giving you a provisioning ingredient called Perfect Roe when caught. Perfect Roe can be used to make Psijic Ambrosia which is a consumable that gives you a 50% Xp boost for 30 minutes. Currently the rate at which you obtain Perfect Roe from skinning is around 50-200 fish. Anymore than that and your just unlucky.
- Psijic Ambrosia has 7 recipie fragments that need to be obtained to make the recipie.
- The fragments can be traded.
- You can only obtain this fragments through completing daily provisioning writs.
- Crafting Psijic Ambrosia requires Recipe Quality Rank 4 and Recipe Improvement Rank 6.
- The complete recipie requires Frost Mirriam, Bervez Juice, and Perfect Roe.
- Frost Mirriam and Bervez Juice can only be obtained from hirelings or provisioning writs.
- Wet gully sacks can be found in all 4 water types when fishing and inside they contain crafting materials.
- Fishing in a group increases your chances of getting rare fish but the fishing hole will dissapear faster.
- Don't ever buy simple bait because it's a waste of your gold. It costs 15 gold but the fish you catch are only worth 3 gold.
- Fishing holes can have somewhere from between 6-16 fishes in it before they run out.
- If you get used bait when fishing, its a sign you're using the wrong kind of bait for that hole.