THE ELEMENTAL SHAMAN
This specialization is the ranged caster damage specialization for Shaman. It has a number of damage & utility spells in the form of totems, the signature ability for Shaman and it is the most armoured of caster specs thanks to mail & shields. They rely on Flame, Shocks and Lava Burst, mixing in lightning bolt whenever your short of skill to cast.
These are DPS skills you will often use in battles.
Chain Lightning- This skill cost mana a lot but very effective when cast to more than 3 targets especially when it has Glyph of Chain Lightning. It is recommended to cast on more than three targets to get more chance of Rolling Thunder to proc and replenish some of your mana.
Earth Shock- Instantly shock a target when your Lightning Shield exceeds from your Fulmination skill.
Earth Quake- Great skill to use on more than 5 targets.
Flame Shock- A very effective skill for a shaman. It is a DoT skill which gives extra 50% damage to your Lava Burst and a chance to proc Lava Surge.
Lava Burst- Be sure that a target has Flame Shock on it before casting this skill to deal extra 50% damage. This skill automatically crits by the way.
Lightning Bolt- A skill that can be used while moving and serves as a filler skill whenever your main skills are on cooldown.
Magma Totem- An AoE skill which is best use on more than 8 targets alive for more than 30 seconds.
Searing Totem- Serves as extra attacking option. This totem will attack your current target.
To both dish out damage and survive, check out the skills below that you should consider as important.
Ascendance- Prioritize this as this is your primary DPS cooldown. Be sure to cast it on single targets or more than five targets for continuous AoE.
Bloodlust/Heroism- More attack speed means more DPS.
Fire Elemental Totem- A pet with short duration but good DPS.
Spiritwalker's Grace- Shaman's instant skill prevents you from moving. And this is your key to remove that hindrance. It allows you to move while casting skills. This skill is better paired with Ascendance.
Shamanistic Rage- The 30% damage reduction is quite useful but the most awesome paet of this skill is that for 15 seconds, all skills you cast has no mana cost.
Stormlash Totem- Buff your allies with nature's power. Quite impressive result is achieve when paired with Bloodlust/Heroism.
Unleash Elements- Buff the next fire skill you cast by 40% with Flametongue Weapon. Note: Only take this skill if you are taking the Level 90 Talent Unleashed Fury to your arsenal.
Wind Shear- This is your 25 yard spell interruption skill.
Passive Bonuses & Buffs
Burning Wrath: Affects you but does not show as a buff.
Elemental Focus: Reduces the mana cost & output of the next two spells after a critical strike. Don’t try to optimise the use of this, as you’ll have a proc rate higher than 50%
Elemental Fury: Increases critical strike bonus for spells by 50%. Multiplies with other critical strike bonuses.
Elemental Oath: Affects you but does not show as a buff.
Elemental Precision: Grants hit rating equal to spirit gained from items/effects
Elemental Reach: Increases range of spells to 40 yards
Flametongue Weapon: Imbues weapon with 7% increased magic damage
Grace of Air: Affects you but does not show as a buff.
Lava Surge: Flame Shock ticks have a chance to reset the Lava Burst and make the next cast instant.
Lightning Shield: Can gain additional charges and restore 2% mana via Rolling Thunder
Mastery: Elemental Overload
Reincarnation: Use when there’s no damage going out, as you can res & die if you’re not careful
Spiritual Insight: Increases mana pool by 400% and reduces Earth Shock/ Flame Shock cooldowns by 1 second
Chain Heal: Don’t use this as it’s high cost and not much return
Healing Rain: Can be used when your raid stacks, not usually necessary
Healing Stream Totem: Adds a bit of smart healing, can be handy to help out healers
Healing Surge: Quick healing spell. Your first choice for self healing
Healing Tide Totem: Strong AoE heal. Raid cooldown, so save for high damage phases
Astral Recall: Essentially a second Hearthstone on a 15 minute cooldown
Bind Elemental: Crowd Control for Elemental type targets. Breaks on damage.
Capacitor Totem: Handy to stun groups to reduce
Cleanse Spirit: Removes curses
Earth Elemental Totem: short duration pet tank. Useful for soloing Elites or in emergencies
Frost Shock: Not that useful for Elemental as it conflicts with Earth & Flame Shocks
Ghost Wolf: Handy to cover distances quickly mid fight
Hex: Crowd Control for Beast & Humanoid type targets.
Purge: removes 1 beneficial magic effect from the target enemy
Totemic Recall: Removes all active totems, which helps prevent accidental mob pulls.
Tremor Totem: Removes Charm, Fear & Sleep effects from party.
Thunderstorm: Handy for knocking enemies away, towards tanks or off cliffs.
Water Walking: Allows the target to walk on water
1.Keep Flame Shock up
2. Unleash Elements if you have Unleashed Fury talented
3. Lava Burst when it is off cooldown
4. Elemental Blast when it is off cooldown if you have Elemental Blast talented
5. Earth Shock when at 7 Lightning Shield charges. Do not use if Flame Shock needs to be refreshed in the next 5 seconds.
6. Keep Searing Totem out
7. Lightning Bolt
Where you attack a single target but also damage 2-4 additional targets--use the single target rotation but replace Lightning Bolt with Chain Lighting.
<6 Targets: Chain Lightning
6+ Targets: Earthquake + Chain Lightning. Can also drop Magma Totem in the target area if you have Totemic Projection
- Astral Shift, Nature's Guardian, Stone
- Bulwark Totem
- Users choice. Nature's Guardian is a passive effect, while Astral Shift is good for short, high damage bursts and Stone Bulwark is handy for reducing constant damage.
- Earthgrab Totem, Frozen Power, Windwalk Totem
- Stick with Earthgrab or occasionally Windwalk if it is needed. Frozen Power should be avoided as it conflicts with other shock uses.
- Call of the Elements, Totemic Persistence, Totemic Projection
- Totemic Projection is needed to make effective use of Capacitor, Earthbind and Magma totems from range. Neither Call of the Elements or Totemic Persistence is very useful, as they require either needing to use the same totem cooldown twice in a short time frame, or having a second Air/Earth/Water totem out.
- Ancestral Swiftness, Echo of the Elements, Elemental Mastery
- Echo of the Elements is the best choice here, as it's a higher bonus than Ancestral Swiftness (5% haste is effectively 5% more spells, vs Echo's 6% chance to duplicate). Elemental Mastery can be handy, but only for specific burst damage and should be macro'd in with other cooldowns like Ascendance.
- Ancestral Guidance, Conductivity, Rushing Streams
- Ancestral Guidance turns your DPS into healing, handy when stacking with Ascendance or other buffs. Conductivity & Rushing Streams require that you actively off-heal, which isn't required in most situations.
- Elemental Blast, Primal Elementalist, Unleashed Fury
- When starting out, take Primal Elementalist. Once you're used to how the Elemental rotation works (mostly shock uses & Lava Burst casts) you can swap it for Elemental Blast. When you get to ~530 ilevel you have the option of using Unleashed Fury instead.
Glyph of Capacitor Totem: Optional for PvP
Glyph of Chain Lightning: Improves AoE/Cleave damage when facing 4+ targets. Recommended for PvE, and can probably leave in by default.
Glyph of Fire Elemental Totem: Halves duration/cooldown, useful for shorter but more frequent burst phases. Optional for PvE
Glyph of Flame Shock: A bit of extra self healing is never a bad thing. Optional for PvE/PvP
Glyph of Frost Shock: As the use of Frost Shock isn’t recommended due to the shock conflicts, this glyph is also not recommended for PvE/PvP
Glyph of Ghost Wolf: Useful for running away from enemies when they’ve used slows on you. Optional for PvP.
Glyph of Grounding Totem: Optional for PvP
Glyph of Hex: Only useful if you need to re-cast Hex early, which should only happen when crowd control is broken early. Optional for PvE/PvP
Glyph of Lightning Shield: Handy if Lightning Shield procs frequently, useless if it does not. Optional for PvE/PvP
Glyph of Shamanistic Rage: Useful for fights where you receive magic debuffs and need to remove them. This is usually only on Heroic Raid bosses. Optional for PvP/PvE
Glyph of Spiritwalker's Grace: Not worth taking as a 15 second Spiritwalker's Grace matches up to the 15 second duration of Ascendance
Glyph of Telluric Currents: You’ll never have mana issues as Elemental unless you’re using Chain Lightning on too few targets or healing too much, neither of which you should be doing. Not recommended.
Glyph of Thunder: Only useful if you need to knockback or restore mana more frequently. Not recommended.
Glyph of Unstable Earth: The slow effect is lower than Earthbind Totem, so should never be required. Not recommended.
Glyph of Wind Shear: Changes Wind Shear to match interrupts from other classes. Only useful if you need to increase the lock out period.
GEARING AND STATS
- Prior to getting T16 gear or the Sinister Primal Diamond: Hit to cap > Intellect > Haste > Mastery > Crit
- After getting T16 gear (500 ilvl +) or the Sinister Primal Diamond: Hit to cap > Intellect > Mastery >= Haste > Crit.
- Note that at this point 2x Mastery is better than 1x Intellect, so your gem priorities will change.
- Spell Hit: 15% (5100 rating) or 14% (4780) for Draenei
- Reforge excess Hit/Spirit to Haste/Mastery (depending on priorities listed above)
- Reforge Crit to Haste/Mastery (depending on priorities listed above)
- Reforge Haste to Mastery or vice versa depending on your current stat priorities.
- Proving Grounds gear should be prioritized towards items with the most gem sockets, and these should be filled with pure Int gems after making sure you’re at the hit cap.
- This includes getting weapons from Throne of Thunder for the legendary quest chain weapon socket, and trinkets like Relic of Yu'lon which is over budget for a trinket of this level
Siege of Orgrimmar Loot
- Follow the stat priorities listed above. Try to avoid getting too many Spirit items, as you will quickly get over your hit cap.
- Purified Bindings of Immerseus and Kardris' Toxic Totem are the trinkets to aim for. Note that Purified Bindings LFR is still better than all but Kadris Toxic Totem, and even then that has to be Heroic Warforged. The 6% bonus to critical strike damage, as well as haste & mastery, is that good.
ENCHANTS AND GEMS
Shoulder: Greater Crane Wing Inscription or Crane Wing Inscription
Chest: Enchant Chest - Glorious Stats
Legs: Greater Cerulean Spellthread or Greater Pearlescent Spellthread
Hands: Enchant Gloves - Greater Haste or Enchant Gloves - Superior Mastery
Feet: Enchant Boots - Pandaren's Step
Wrist: Enchant Bracer - Super Intellect
Back: Enchant Cloak - Superior Intellect
Main Hand: Enchant Weapon - Jade Spirit > Enchant Weapon - Windsong > Enchant Weapon - Elemental Force
Off Hand: Enchant Off-Hand - Major Intellect
Meta: Burning Primal Diamond /Sinister Primal Diamond
Blue: Purified Imperial Amethyst /Veiled Imperial Amethyst / Energized Wild Jade / Lightning Wild Jade
Red: Brilliant Primordial Ruby /Reckless Vermilion Onyx
Yellow: Reckless Vermilion Onyx / Artful Vermilion Onyx / Quick Sun's Radiance
Engineering & Blacksmithing are the “best” due to Synapse Springs and being able to get two additional gem sockets for haste/mastery gems. The 320 Int granted from Enchanting, Jewelcrafting and Leatherworking are a close second, while Tailoring comes in a close third with Lightweave Embroidery.
Reblogged from: Elemental Shaman Guide